人影们

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Life After Graduated Is Not Fun

It has been quite a long time since my last post and I can't really remember when was it. Reasons are lack of time and boredom of contents. Whatsoever, I have finally completed my degree, in case you don't remember, Actuarial Science, in May and is now waiting for August Convo. At the same time, I have been actively seeking for job opportunities. To be exact, I have started since February and now I am still jobless. I have went for six interviews, the last was yesterday at Citigroup Transaction Services for Customer Acquisition Due Diligence Analyst. Wow! What a long and professional-sounded name. However, by looking at the name, my friend A said that this is a job where everyone can do and it is below my skills. This is totally different with what I have expected. Well, I would not like to talk much about this. So there was my first interview, Public Bank for the position of Management Trainee. I doubted and she clarified that it is related to AS, which in the end the interviewers said not really. Second, ING for pricing analyst. It was the first ever group interview in my life and I would say it is challenging. I think I performed well as a beginner but in the end they took others who are claimed to be more suitable than me. Then Hong Leong Assurance, product development team which my adviser recommended me to join. After the interview I almost cried, because of their questions which I never thought of it as a problem, even until now. Fourth and fifth were both on yesterday, MCIS Zurich for pricing team in actuarial department which was recommended by my cousin and Uni.Asia for risk executive. The first one was ok, if I lose out that job, the only reason I could think is I have no experience. The latter one was, nearly meaningless. Firstly, the interviewer asked, "If there is a job offering to you in actuarial department, will you consider jumping?" Well, if you were me, will you? And what's the point even if I tell you now that I won't, which I actually did. Can you guarantee that? Or you can just bond me for two years and now I will think of it. Secondly, the job scope sounds boring. Although I can deal with it, I won't take it if there is a better one, for example, an assistant lecturer. I was notified by A about this alternative. The pros of it are, I can work flexibly and complete my SOA paper with a high starting salary. I was thinking, although I can get related experience from risk executive or other real life working position except actuarial department, I can't assure that I would have time to complete my papers. I would rather do that under a stress-free circumstance. I actually got surprised of the salary of a lecturer. Although the salary won't increase as fast as the real life job, I still feel satisfying with the amount I heard for a lecturer and a professor. Well, not forgetting that teaching is my first ever ambition and that, I actually feel happy to teach, to share my knowledge with others and to see their improving results. So check it out for my updates to see where I will be :)

2 comments:

  1. Since there's someone recommend u, i think higher chance for u to get that job. haha GOoooood luck!

    Btw, hw much salary of a lecturer???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard it is 2900, but not really sure. Edward Chin said his one is 2700

    ReplyDelete